Sunday, August 31, 2008
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Dotti lives in Nevada and she says it is hotter than blazes. This card sure represents that well. Can you see all those beads. Gorgeous card don't you think?
I made my card early in the month, long before Fay, Gustov or Hanna. I remember Andrew was in August and every year I hope and prayer that the hurricanes stay well off our coast.
Have I mentioned that the old toothpick repair just wasn't cutting it any more and my laptop died a horrible death. I got a new fancy schmancy laptop. It has (groan) the new dreaded Vista. I have lost some information but not much. Unfortunately, there are no drivers to support my scanner so I cannot use it anymore. My husband is talking about getting a wireless printer/scanner...we'll see about that. In the meantime, I do apologize for the quality of the postcard pictures as I have to use the camera, and we all know what a lousy photographer I am.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
If you are inclined to pray, please say one for my Mom. If you are not one who prays, please have a moment of good thoughts for her.
Thank you all.
Update: Mom has come out of surgery with flying colors. The surgeon said the operation was a complete success, he even thinks there is a good chance she may walk again. Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Sunday, August 24, 2008
I could not have been in my right mind whenever it was that I bought it.
I just got the Sept/Oct issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting and found a pattern they call "Boo". I knocked it out pretty quickly using fusible web and machine button hole stitching. My free motion quilting is the pits, (which is why I hand quilt more important pieces). This piece is not going in a contest nor will it be an heirloom piece, quick was of top importance. I think I have forgotten the eyes on the bat, darn, I thought I was done.
And I even got to use up some cute but otherwise useless pieces on the back.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
I am enjoying this quilt and have started another. I have a nice hunk of yellow that I can use for the background and I guess I could sew a bunch of greens strings for the border. I'm on a roll.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
But I'll be a good girl and attempt to answer her questions.
1. Why do you quilt? It relaxes me and gives me a sense of accomplishment. I am not very good at anything else.
2. How long have you been quilting? Despite several sad attempts before, I started to quilt seriously in 1993.
3. What made you start quilting? A picture of a log cabin quilt on the cover of a magazine.
4. What sewing machine do you use mostly for piecing? Bernina Inspiration
5. What machine do you use mostly for quilting? My left hand and my right hand.
6. If you could have any sewing machine you want -- money isn't an issue -- just get anything you want . . what would you get? Not something I have even thought about.
7. When you buy a sewing machine, how long do you expect you'll keep it? Til a newer and bigger and better model comes out? Til the old one refuses to make another stitch? My Mom is still using her Singer that she bought in 1949 and she was a seamstress who did a ton of sewing. I thought I would use my Bernina at least that long.
8. On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you love your stash? (10 means you LOVE it! 1 means you'd get rid of it all today if you could!) About a 7.5, lots of color but all small pieces
9. Why do you have the stash? How did it come about? Why is it the size that it is? Just in case.
10. When we talk about "stashbusting", what are your thoughts? Use up all those little pieces and make some room for some new stuff.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008
So now you know my nick name for my granddaughter. And you also now know what I planned to do with the jelly bean fabric. I think I'm off to a good start.
While surfing the net looking for some more jellybean fabric, I came across these three. Luckily, they were all on sale. Princess Ballerinas, ballet slippers and jelly beans, what more can a five year old want?
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
This weekend I was cleaning out some of the junk piled on my desk and came across my postcard trading notebook. I figured I would not be hearing from any of the people that owe me cards, so I threw out all my notes.
Fast forward to Monday and look what was in the mail.
I cannot believe it, but Angelcat fulfilled her obligation with this gorgeous card. In case you don't know, I love screaming orange. What is really funny is that her card is O for Orange and so was mine.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Before I can fool around with granddaughters quilt, I decided to make some blocks for the August Block lotto over at the Forum (which is why I bought the browns).
Sunday, August 3, 2008
You might remember a few months ago I participated in a Choose your own Color string block swap. I had asked for dark green centers with autumn color string. Even though I received a set of blocks from everyone who signed up, there were not enough blocks to make anything bigger than a wall hanging. I have been making extra blocks from donated fabrics, on and off for a while now and finally have something to show for it. Isn't it amazing how many people are involved in making this quilt. This will most likely go to Mary for the Heartstrings project.