Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kids, Don't Try This At Home

I'm not much of a tea drinker and I don't know whatever possessed me, but I bought this box of raspberry tea. Being the slob that I am, I spilled some on the white shirt that I was wearing. But instead of getting upset, I thought it was a lovely shade of pink. So I cut about a yard of some unbleached muslin and attempted to tea dye it. I suppose bleached muslin would have been a better choice but all I had was the stuff I purchased to use as foundations.



I put the piece in a pot of water with 6 tea bags and let it come to a boil.


This is going to be great, I thought, a lovely shade of antique faded pink. Once it boiled, I turned off the burner and let it sit there while I went shopping.



A few hours later, I put the fabric in the washer with cold water on a quick rinse. Here is the results.




Sadly, the color all washed out and the fabric doesn't look any different than when I started. So why didn't the pink tea stains come out of my blouse?

No comments: