Block 1 - Flying Santa. I really wanted to use needle turn applique for this quilt, but I know it will never get finished if I do. So I chose to use fusible web and a machine button hole stitch. Even though I love Lynette's colors scheme, I decided to use slightly brighter colors. One of these days I'll make another one (nothing like planning ahead) in crazy bright colors. This is a rather long block (42" wide). I couldn't find a way to take a picture, so here it is laid out on my ironing board.
His beard posed a bit of a problem because you could see through any white fabric that I had. I used a piece of fusible interfacing on the back of a swirly white on white, but you could still see through it. I added another, then another for a total of 3 layers of fusible interfacing on the back of the beard and mustache. If I had thought of it sooner, I think a piece of felted wool would have been a better choice.