Saturday, January 2, 2010

It ain't no Wednesday Matinee




A few months back I went to a wednesday matinee of Fiddler on the Roof. If you remember, I was pretty disappointed at the theater patrons and their lack of respect. Well I'm here to tell you it's a whole different crowd on a saturday. For a Christmas present, my husband got me a ticket to see The Phantom of the Opera. It is my all time,  most favorite musical. I have seen it before, I have seen the movie and have the complete cast recording (which I know by heart). This performance did not disappoint me as the chandelier, proscenium, pyrotechnics, music, singing, staging, lighting, well just about everything was terrific. But the audience new how to conduct themselves. Although there were a few late seaters, mostly everyone knew what proper attire was. I only saw one guy (probably a tourist) in shorts and there wasn't any candy wrapper rustling going on.
The best, however was at the end. The performers came out to take their bows and the crowd remained seated and applauding. When they got down to Raul, the crowd got louder, Christine, even louder and when the Phantom took his bows the crowd went crazy. Standing ovations all around and not one single person walked out early.
If all that wasn't enough, the performers were collecting money for charity and were in the lobby, in costume. How spectacular to see those costumes up close and personal.
If the tickets weren't so expensive, I would go see it again, and again and again.

4 comments:

Deborah Levy said...

Sounds wonderful! It's one of my all time favorites too.

vickie said...

I love that play! Glad you had a good time!

Ann said...

I've never seen that maybe one of these days. It sounds like you had an excellent time

Dotti said...

I'm glad this time at the theater worked out so much better!