Monday, September 22, 2008

Gas

The Saturday before hurricane Ike was to maybe hit Florida, I topped off my gas tank just in case. I was over by the 17th Street Causeway, a tourist part of town. The gas at Hess was $3.61 per gallon and the same price at BP. I had made a mental note on Friday, of the gas price at the Hess station near where I work, much further inland. It was $3.69 a gallon, so $3.61 seemed like a good deal.

One week later, the price at the Hess near 17th Street was $3.99 a gallon, while the price at BP was $4.05. On Monday morning I made a point of checking the price at Hess near where I work, and it was still $3.69.

This morning I noticed it went up to $3.75, the first increase in several weeks.

So what's up with that? Why such big increases but only in some places? What does gas cost around your area?

2 comments:

Ann said...

3.87 - 3.99 last month
3.69 - 3.79 last week

Unknown said...

$3.41 ... Happy Valley/Portland, Oregon.

$2.75 ... same place, for the gas that is the alternative fuel. 85% ethanol, I think.