Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Old Stuff

My Maternal Grandmother was born in 1889. This pillow sham was embroidered by her before she was married. Her initials are FG, Florence Germano, her maiden name. What beautiful workmanship.


This piece also belonged to my Grandmother and is a pillow sham but we don't know who made it. We also don't know how my Grandmother got it. The initial are AP or PA and there is no one in our family with any such initials. This piece has embroidery and drawn work. The workmanship on this piece is gorgeous and I don't know of anyone who does handwork like this anymore.




This Belgium lace collar was given to me by my Mother in law. She said it was sent to her by a friend in Europe in 1944. It is really pretty and delicate but it has never been used. Neither my mother in law nor I could ever find the right blouse to put it on.




My Dad was in Bavaria at the end of World War II. He brought back many souvenirs including a box of handkerchiefs. Mom kept them in a box in the drawer and wouldn't ever use them as she thought they were too special. Recently she gave me the box. Some of the hankies are falling apart just because they were made from such a fragile fabric. This curious hanky intrigues me though. The green "blob" is appliqued by hand with very tiny stitches. The flowers are embroidered, also by hand, also very tiny. But I cannot for the life of me figure out just what the heck it's supposed to be.




2 comments:

Pattilou said...

Wow! What neat workmanship! We have truly lost some of that art haven't we? I for one am too much in a hurry to take the time people did over 100 years ago. Thanks for the photo insight to days gone by.

Anonymous said...

Interesting green blob with embroidered flowers. Could it be a green thumb? Or a leprucan hat? Or the shape of a country? It's baffling!