Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October Block Lotto

I have not been playing along with the Block Lotto much this year. This is the year of liberated block making and I am not a big fan and can't quite get the hang of it. But this month's block is a variable star, liberated star, wonky star....call it what you want.


I don't even want to tell you how many pieces ended up in the trash before I ended up with something presentable. If you would like to play along, you can get all the information at the Block lotto Blog.

So while I'm on the subject of liberated block making, let me show you the 6 blocks I received from the bee I joined a few months ago. I requested my blocks to be pink, red and a touch of purple (thinking I would make something for a little girl). For some reason I expected everyone to make a traditional block, instead I got mostly liberated blocks. The colors are great but I do not know what to do with these. I think one of my biggest objections to the liberated method is the statement "if it's too small just add some fabric". That might look OK for some but it is hard to work with a block that has a 1/2 inch strip all around.

5 comments:

Ann said...

I'm not familiar with the term liberated block but I'm assuming it just sort of means anything goes? Seems like it would be rather tough to put something together that way. I've always been a follow the pattern kind of person :)

Lin said...

Them is some crazy blocks. I get really crabby when I get weird blocks back, so I don't do these block swaps anymore. And it really bugs me when people use cruddy fabric too. I mean, make something YOU would want, people!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Yeah, it has Depression chic written all over it. Too much like straight Depression to me.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Could you add 5 inch white strips all around them, then cut them kind of wonky and set them that way? It would be easier than using small strips....

Anonymous said...

Since perhaps, you always seem disappointed or not enthusiastic about block swapping, and I am reading it as you're complaining, the solution is simple, just don't do it, stay home, and make your own blocks. Every one interprets things differently. Be more specific in what you want, if you want traditional, for goodness sakes tell them that!

Mary Louise