As I have mentioned a few times before, I want to make some more Windmill block quilts and this time something a little more masculine. I never have enough of any one piece of fabric for the background except for bleached muslin (I just bought a bolt).
I got out my very large mason jars and stuffed each with a two yard piece of muslin. I added boiling water and 6 tea bags to one jar and hot tap water and a few drops of blue dye to the other. I let them both sit for awhile before dumping it all out. I rinsed the fabrics several times and then washed them separately in the washer in hot water, making sure that the water ran clear.
I love tea dyed fabric and I love the mottled look when you jam all the fabric in a jar. It is much more interesting than just plain white.