Sunday, August 16, 2009

Around the Block

My neighborhood, in fact much of Ft Lauderdale is built on canals and rivers. It is a very common site to see large masts jutting out behind a house. This looks like a big one.






I can't just walk into someones back yard to take a picture, but there are a few spots where a canal or river is clearly visible. The guy across the river was not too happy with me taking his picture.


We have a small nature park in this neighborhood which adjoins the New River. If you ever take a ride on the Jungle Queen, you will pass this boat yard.



The boat yard is on the other side of the river. On our side of the river used to be a sailboat yard. There were some beautiful boats (including Neil Young's) docked here. The property was sold to a firm that was going to build a boat condominium. They got as far as tearing down all the existing buildings. Now there is nothing there, a very sad site to see.



10 comments:

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

I'm missing living near a body of water :-) My companies as of now are trees, trees, and trees LOL Love your neighbors backyard.

I came by visiting your Pink Saturday post. Did you buy any of those beautiful pink beads? :-)

Happy 1st Pink Saturday!

Li

Barb said...

It was nice seeing that all again. My DH lived in Ft. Laud for many years ~ while I was in Pembroke Pines. We did have friends that loved on one of the waterways and had a wonderful teak sailboat. I miss it sometimes!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures I live by the ocean and I love it.

Meghann said...

How amazing to see masts from behind houses, I have to admit, I laughed a bit - I live in the country, where the only 'masts' you see are internet towers on people's houses. This was an interesting sight for sure!

Dotti said...

I never realized there were so many canals in Ft. Lauderdale. Of course, whenever I came up from Miami (back in college days) we never got any more inland than across the street from the beach. Heh, heh!

Erika said...

I miss living so close to the water; I do not miss the hurricane evacuations.

vange said...

Those are some cool pix and what a fun place to live!

blushing rose said...

Great pics. Love it down there. Loved your pink Saturday presentation also. TTFN ~Marydon

Rob said...

I used to live in Lauderdale, so it was nice to see some images from that area again. I hope that they do something with that old boatyard.

Unknown said...

All the pictures are really good pictures. It really shows some additional natural beauty to the house. It is a great fun to see this kind of pictures.
by
hidden object games