Thursday, June 3, 2010

Incoming


A few weeks ago, me and the ladies of Heartstrings received an email from another charitable organization. The lady said her group makes clothing for the children of Haiti. She said there were lots of leftovers and she would be willing to ship them to anyone who wanted some. I replied that I was interested if she had cotton scraps suitable for childrens quilts. She said she would ship the next day.
I hadn't heard from her and totally forgot about her offer until late Tuesday afternoon when my mailman knocked at my door with a large box.

I cannot believe how much stuff was crammed into that box and notice how many stamps are stuck on the top.
I spent most of Wednesday morning sorting through the box. I pressed most of the fabric, and decided what I would do first. This is only a small portion of what was inside.



 There was one larger piece of pastel blue which made a nice preemie quilt. I also managed to get 8 quilt as you go blocks made using some fabric from this box, including some solids used for the backs, my bingo fat quarter winnings and I even still have some fabrics that Vicki W sent me last year. I need to make 16 more blocks and I have more than enough for that. Now if I could only find a place to store it all.

 Once again I have signed up for the HGTV Choose Your Own Color (CYOC) string swap (that's a mouthful). The deadline is somewhere off in September but if you know me, you know I'll get mine out in the next week or two. I don't plan on boring you with pictures of each set I make, but if you are interested in following the progress you can visit the CYOC thread over at the HGTV message boards.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I am just amazed and awed at all the wonderful stuff you do for others. Thanks for the inspiration.

bingo~bonnie said...

you sure are lucky in the scraps department! I love that people send you what they don't want anymore and that you always seem to immediately make good use of them! Your preemie quilt is great! ;)

and I would not be board to see all the blocks you make for your CYOC's ;) that is if you wanted to share... ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Ann said...

whoa you hit the jackpot there. that's a big box. I bet you're having a blast with all that.