Sunday, September 30, 2007

Just to prove a point

A few years ago, my friend Ann and I were complaining about the quilts we had seen at some quilt show. We both noticed that there was little or no hand quilting and everything with a ribbon had beads and stuff all over them. I bet her, that I could throw something together, sew on some beads and it would win a ribbon.

I cut up a lot of my blues and started a strip quilt, really simple, no instructions necessary. I have to tell you that I don't do machine quilting. Oh, I know how, but my workmen ship is the pits. I will machine quilt the preemie quilts I do for charity (I'll post some of them another time) and I might machine quilt a small wall hanging for myself. But when it comes to making a queen size, I either hand quilt it or send it to the longarmers, (which is why I don't make too many big quilts).

But, I machine quilted this baby with shiny nylon and metallic threads and sewed the beads on by hand. The whole process didn't take very long.
















So you can see by the photo that the quilt took a third place ribbon at the Broward Quilt Expo last March. My friend Ann named it "Ocean Tears" which is the name on the entry form, but it's real name is "Just to prove a point"

For all of you who make such gorgeous quilts and enter them in contests, I mean no disrespect. My viewpoint applys to the quilts I have seen here in South Florida.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Sounds like a comment on the judges more than the quilters. The quilters have learned what the judges want to see!

rubytuesday said...

Barbara, maybe you aren't aware that, even as a quilt on a dare, this quilt shows tremendous color sense and style. You can't make a bad quilt even if you try.