Wednesday, December 16, 2009

More About The Pretzels

I was asked for  my recipe for chocolate pretzels, and I thought I would clarify how I made them. First of all,  there is no recipe, but  the secret is to use the correct kind of chocolate. There are all kinds of chocolate out there and all sorts of methods of preparing it. The easiest way is to buy chocolate that is already labeled "melting chocolate". There is lots of it for sale on the internet, including bulk quantities or even Godiva. I purchased melting chocolate at Michaels (it was even on sale for $1.99 per package). It's there that I found packages of 20 pretzel bags complete with silver twist ties (also on sale for $1.99)



I melted the chocolate in a one pint mason jar, in the microwave, following the instructions on the package. Tilting the jar, I covered each pretzel stick a bit more than half way, and scraped the excess off on the side of the jar. I laid them out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper, then put them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.



The refrigeration helps the chocolate to harden. Trying to be just a bit creative, I dabbed some melted white chocolate on them with the side of a spoon, and let them cool a bit more.


For the first batch, I bought glass jars in the dollar store. For this batch I got some coffee mugs also from the dollar store. I really wanted to use mason jars but they are only sold by the dozen and I have no way to store the extras. If you are one of those gals who love estate sales and second hand stores, you might be on the lookout for something decorative or unusual. No matter what you use, these sure do make an easy, inexpensive gift.








5 comments:

blushing rose said...

DH is going to love these. TY for sharing.

~ Please follow/read me on our new blog now ~
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

Merry Christmas ~
TTFN ~Marydon

Buggys said...

I love those, great gift idea too!

Erika said...

I wish I had thought of this idea before spending hours baking...They look great!

Rose Clearfield said...

Thank you so much for posting that! I will have to try it in the future. :)

Rose Clearfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.