Friday, October 12, 2007

A quick rant

My home network is down so I am unable to post any pictures. Frankly, a quilt blog without photos is just plain dumb. My husband is working from home today so I suspect the problem will be fixed by the time I get home from work. So I am going to take this opportunity to rant, material vs fabric.
I have been seeing it alot lately on message boards, especially the ones where I am involved with trading. The gals are saying "I have my material ready" or "I have to go to Walmart (cringe) and buy some material". The dictionary says MATERIAL =
anything that serves as crude or raw matter to be used or developed: Wood pulp is the raw material from which paper is made an
FABRIC = cloth made by weaving, knitting, or felting fibers: woolen fabrics
My mother was a seamstress, she used fabric, cotton, satin, silk, wool. My dad was a masonry contractor, he used materials, brick, mortar, sand, stone. When someone says they are sending me material I have to wonder if I am getting a bag of bricks.
And while we're on the subject, the correct word is supposEDly not supposeABly.
As Dennis Miller would say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong"!
You may now continue with whatever more important things you were doing.

3 comments:

Kate North said...

I like a good grammar rant as much as anyone, but you should probably be aware that there's a typo in yours - wouldn't want to take the wind out of your sails! (you've typed "the correct work is supposEDly..." rather than "the correct word"!)

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness, a KINDRED SPIRIT! My DB's grammar has improved noticeably in the months we've been dating. I physically cringe when I hear "liberry," "supposebly," "prolly," and "Where you at?" Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

rubytuesday said...

I love your rants zizzy.